Followers

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

WIP Wednesday: Two Purses


I've mentioned before that I'm still new to crocheting and occasionally have a hard time reading and understanding patterns.  I found the pattern to the Over the Shoulder Mini Purse and decided to give it a try since I've never done anything using the basketweave technique.  I should probably stop trying out new patterns late at night because I got myself so confused.  Eventually, I just decided to have each row be the opposite of the row before it.  So if I did a Front Post Double Crochet in the previous row, the next row I would use a Back Post Double Crochet.  Once the body of the purse was done I just quickly crocheted a strap that I will eventually sew into the purse. Later on I will also be putting a lining inside the purse but that will have to wait.  Too many other things to do. So I guess if I had to name this purse I would call it "The Happy Accident Purse".  Not exactly what I set out to make but it still came out decent looking.

So the day after I made "The Happy Accident Purse" I decided to go back and read the original pattern.  Suddenly my brain started to work and it made much more sense to me.  Since I still had quite a bit of Bernat cotton yarn left I decided to give that purse another try.  Now I will say I still was not able to follow the pattern perfectly.  I somehow got off on how many stitches there should be in Row 2 so I did just kind of fudge a bit to get where I was supposed to be.  However, this attempt is definitely closer to the original pattern.  I still need to make a strap for it though.


So I guess the moral of the story is if you already have a tough time reading patterns you might not want to start a new project late at night when your brain is ready for bed.  On the other hand, if you do this you might come up with something cool on your own.

7 comments:

  1. Hi my dear friend, You know I like purses so so much..:)) And your purse is really very beautiful with a very hard motif pattern..:))
    All best days...:))
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it came out pretty. You did great figuring out your own pattern. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is how I crochet, too. I'm still pretty new to it and my husband teases me when I do something really hard, it's because I haven't figured out that I'm not supposed to be able to do that, yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty purses. The pattern you made is not easy at all :) I also like challanging myself with complicated patterns and creating my own pattern or just being inventive :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great purses, really! What a nice pattern, and the color is so warm.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the first bag just has your personal touch. I like to call those mistakes - design elements!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks everyone for the kind words!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you to everyone that leaves a comment! I might not get a chance to respond to each and every one but I do read them and appreciate you taking the time to visit my blog and comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...